Monday, 10 July 2017

Another Village Module


This module is another mixed timber/brick construction, which gives a nice colour contrast I think. I decided to go for an earth rather than cobbled courtyard and the whole thing is a little less grand. It made its debut in a hard fought battle I played last week with wargaming mate, Dave Green (report to follow). Suffice it to say that I got my arse kicked!






    With two pretty large village modules to my name, I think I will do something a little more modest next time. Still not sure whether to go for smaller modules with a couple of buildings and surrounding wall/hedge/fence or to do individual buildings. The usual compromise between flexibility and appearance. I am also experimenting with my terrain boards to try and build in a bit more flexibility; basically to do away with integral roads and settle for drop on. I bought a load from the delightfully named "Fat Frank" so that I could have a more complex road/stream network. With a little re-painting they look pretty good. I am also looking at a complete re-texture using grasses/flocks, rather than the old sand and dry brush approach. Still early stages and not yet convinced, but will report back when I have something to show.

This is just a part of my concerted push (and New Year's Resolution) to get my terrain sorted out in 2017. I have made a lot of progress and have lots to post on the blog over the next few months.


8 comments:

  1. Really nice Steve. You definitely have mastered the techniques that Mick Sewell pioneered. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy. Learned a lot from The Master!!

      Delete
  2. I am very envious of the skills you have and the time you dedicate to these really very lovely models.
    Better luck with the "arse kicking" next time chum!
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks for both Jeremy!!

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic work. Really professional stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. That's nice to hear. There are about 25 hours work in one of these modules, so it is a big investment, but they do look nice on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave a link to your blog and our discussion on FoB on my latest post by the way. You have me trying a series of games over the next few months, with FoB in different periods :)

      Delete
    2. Enjoyed your write up of the AWI game. Keep it coming!

      Delete